A Gallup poll a while back reported 2 out of 3 Americans suffer from low self-esteem and, presumably, a lack of self-love and for Europe it is probably the same. Low self-esteem is maybe the greatest “disease” in the Western world.
Chief Joseph gives a list of practical suggestions you can use to achieve greater self-love.
1. Eliminate all self-criticism and self-judgement. All of it! You deserve better than that.
2. Eliminate all thoughts that scare you. Remember, you are totally safe and secure in this present moment. And this present moment is all you have. Fear is based on what might happen in the future. So focus fully right here, right now, in the present moment. You are safe here. There is nothing to fear.
3. Be patient with yourself. You don’t have to become perfect, however you or your society define that. You are perfect just as you are.
4. Take good care of yourself — physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. You already know how to do this. So just do it.
5. Use what we call “the mirror technique” every day. First thing every morning simply look into your bedroom or bathroom mirror. Look deeply into your own eyes. Then say to yourself (and mean it!) “(Your name), I love you!” Say it 10 or 12 times. It takes only a few seconds, but you will reap rewards beyond your wildest dreams. Then you will fall head-over-heels in love with yourself.
6. Know you are a powerful, sovereign being. You need nothing, no one outside yourself. You are God.
7. Your most important relationship, bar none, is that relationship between you and your higher self. That relationship will ensure all your other relationships are healthy and whole.
8. Then you won’t expect another person to “complete” you or make you happy. Talk about an impossible dream! No one can complete you because you are already whole and complete. No one can make you happy because happiness is always an “inside job.”
You will see all this clearly when you master the art of self-love.